ENLIGHT – The Girl Child Education project
The project ‘ENLIGHT’ envisions building a better future for girl children living in difficult circumstances through continued access to quality education. This is a collaborative effort of Capgemini and AIDE ET ACTION (INDIA). The project is being implemented in nine cities (Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Pune, Salem & Trichy) of India. In each city, the project engages with girl children belonging to a specific multiply vulnerable social group. The project currently engages directly with a total of 1936 girl children. ‘Enlight’ is being implemented with the support of NGO Partners (COMMITMENTS, DCCW, HAMARI MUSKAN, STREE MUKTI SANGATHAN & ASHRAYA FOUNDATION FOR CHILDREN) in the cities of Hyderabad, Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Pune respectively, while is being directly implemented by Aide et Action India in the cities of Bangalore, Chennai, Salem and Trichy.
Statistics reveal that only 3 out of 10 girls who enter class 1 complete class 8. While enrollment rates have increased in past few years but still the dropout rates are alarmingly high! 45% of Girls drop out of school by Class 5th and about 75% of them drop out by class 8th. Socio-economic and cultural barriers play a key role in education of the girl children and these barriers multiply along with the nature of difficult circumstances the girl children had to survive in. A girl’s education not only provides knowledge, it gives them power and awareness over their own lives, which benefits all in the long run. Educated girls develop several skills, information and self-confidence which helps her in becoming a better parent and citizen. Educating girls will help in population control, low infant mortality, reduce abuses, promote gender equality, reduce exploitation and child marriages.
WHAT ‘ENLIGHT’ DOES?
Enlight promotes collaborative actions amongst the girl children, Parents, Community Leaders, Teachers, relevant Government departments and the Employees of CAPGEMINI to strengthen, maximise and sustain the overall impact.
- Bangalore: Girl Children from Muslim Community
- Chennai: Girl Children from Adi Dravida (Scheduled Caste)
- Delhi: Girl Children of Migrant families settled in slums
- Hyderabad: Girl Children with Disabilities
- Kolkata: Girl Children of Women in prostitution
- Mumbai: Girl Children of Waste – pickers
- Salem: Girl Children infected/ affected by HIV/AIDS
- Trichy: Girl children of Manual Scavengers
- Pune: Girl children of Denotified Communities
- Access and quality Primary education to children in difficult circumstances (especially girl child)
- Strengthen Community based education governance (Effective functioning of schools)
- Cognitive development of children via access to wider learning spaces through technology (ICT).
- Instill better health & hygienic practices, protection, and restoration of the environment amongst children.
KEY FOCUS AREAS
- Enhance competency levels and prepare children for higher education
- Promoting community participation in school governance
- Enhancing capacities of Teachers and promoting innovative and inclusive pedagogy
- Developing ICT skills amongst children thereby enabling them to access wider sphere of knowledge and learning
- Building awareness on health & hygiene and encouraging ecological restoration
Capgemini is a global leader in consulting, digital transformation, technology, and engineering services. The Group is at the forefront of innovation to address the entire breadth of clients’ opportunities in the evolving world of cloud, digital, and platforms. Building on its strong 50-year+ heritage and deep industry-specific expertise, Capgemini enables organizations to realize their business ambitions through an array of services from strategy to operations. Capgemini is driven by the conviction that the business value of technology comes from and through people. Today, it is a multicultural company of 270,000 team members in almost 50 countries. With Altran, the Group reported 2019 combined revenues of €17billion.
Learn more about us at www.capgemini.com.
Rightshore® is a trademark belonging to Capgemini.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT
P.B.Sajeev – Regional Head (Programme Development and Support), South Asia
Mobile: +91 – 9445035717
CLICK HERE TO VISIT PROJECT ‘ENLIGHT’ WEBSITE.